We are currently seeking members to run for 3 Trustee positions, and members to join our committees. These nominations and elections will take place at the next General Membership Meeting to be held on Monday, October 17 from 11am to 1pm in room 5-220. If you are interested or have any questions please contact email@example.com.
11.1 – The Local shall have three (3) Trustees, who shall be elected by the membership. Any
member in good standing in the Local who is not a member of the Executive Committee
may be elected. The term of office for all Trustees is May 1 of the year in which their
election takes place to April 30 of the third year following. Should a Trustee position be
vacated, an election shall be held at the subsequent General Membership Meeting.
11.2 – Notwithstanding the above, there shall be an initial Trustee election in which one Trustee
shall be elected for a term of one year, one for two years and one for three years.
Elections in subsequent years shall be for a term of three years in order that the Local
retains a rotation of new and experienced Trustees.
11.3 – The Trustees shall:
- Act as an auditing committee on behalf of the members and audit the books and
accounts of the Treasurer, the Recording Secretary, and the committees at least once
every calendar year.
- Make a written report of their findings to the first membership meeting following the
completion of each audit.
- Submit in writing to the President and Treasurer any recommendations and/or
concerns they feel should be reviewed in order to ensure that the Local Union’s
funds, records, and accounts are being maintained by the Recording Secretary and
Treasurer in an organized, correct, and proper manner.
- Be responsible to ensure that monies have not been paid out without proper
constitutional or membership authorization.
- Ensure that proper financial reports have been given to the membership.
- Audit the record of attendance.
- Inspect at least once a year, any stocks, bonds, securities, office furniture and
equipment, and titles or deeds to property that may at any time be owned by the Local
Union, and report their findings to the membership.
- Send to the National Secretary-Treasurer, with a copy to the assigned Servicing
Representative, the following documents:
i. Completed Trustee Audit Program
ii. Completed Trustees’ Report
iii. Treasurer Report to the Trustees
iv. Recommendations made to the President and Treasurer of the Local Union
v. Treasurer’s response to recommendations
vi. Concerns that have not been addressed by the Local Union Executive
Committee Members Needed for the following Committees:
COMMUNICATIONS AND OUTREACH COMMITTEE
- Ensure that Local By-Law requirements of adequate notice are met;
- Inform members of events and activities.
- Communicate advocacy positions taken by the membership of the Local to the larger community through all relevant means;
- Produce a regular newsletter;
- Oversee the maintenance of the website and provide content to webmaster for posting;
- Peruse the media and respond to issues of relevance to the Local;
- Assist the Recording Secretary with assembling and producing all press releases newsletters, posters and other communication initiatives.
The duties of the Education Committee shall include but not be limited to the following:
- Determine the educational needs of the membership, stewards and executive officers and
facilitate or direct them to the requisite training, workshop, conference or educational to
address the learning need(s).
- Assist the Chair, Education and Human Rights with the publicizing of CUPE School and
- Prepare registration forms, plan or coordinate travel plans and execute other related tasks
to ensure that members get to educationals.
- Liaise with the Locals’ other committees on matters concerning human rights.
- To take on educational issues as directed by the Executive Committee.
This committee will:
- Review the bylaws annually and make recommendations to the Executive
Board on proposed amendments.
- Review any proposed amendments received from the Executive Board or
membership of the Local Union to ensure that the amendments will conform to the
remainder of the bylaws and the CUPE National Constitution
- Ensure that the Local Union’s bylaws are written in clear language, ensuring that clear language does not change the intent or meaning of the bylaws.
EQUITY AND HUMAN RIGHTS COMMITTEE
This committee is being revived, be a part of it to shape how your union works on social justice and equity.