Yesterday, Ford’s government voted against Paid Sick Days for workers amidst a deadly third wave. In total, they have now voted against paid sick days 21 times since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.
It’s time to listen to the experts. It’s time to stop the deaths and the unnecessary infections.
We are encouraging all CUPE 3907 members to join on Wednesday, April 28 at 10 AM our colleagues at 3902 to reflect together on the history of the Day of Mourning, observe a moment of silence for the more than 23,000 lives lost to COVID-19 across Canada, and guide everyone through a phone zap to call on the government to meet our demands.
- Implement paid sick days for all workers;
- Ensure vaccinations for all frontline workers;
- Provide paid time off from work for vaccination;
- Make sure there is appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) for all workers;
- Immediately end any enhanced police powers.
Do you have 10 minutes?
In the time it takes to have a coffee break, you can email and phone a politician and sign our petition to U of T to demand paid sick days for all.
- Have a 1-on-1 organizing conversation. Take the time to talk to and organize your co-workers. Then get them to affirm their support by signing our petition for paid sick days for all U of T employees. Change happens at the local level too!
- Call and email your Member of Provincial Parliament. Tell them you don’t want more policing; you want paid sick days that are employer-paid, permanent, universal and adequate.
- Join us on May 1st at 11 AM for the launch of Decent Work campaign. A decent work agenda must include not only paid sick days, but fair wages, equal benefits, hours we can live on and more.
- Make it public! Here is a media suite including images for Facebook, Twitter, Zoom and Email. Post on social media using hashtags: #10for10 #PaidSickDays