Dear Members of CUPE 3907:
There is now a vacancy for the post of president of CUPE 3907. Nominees must be members of CUPE 3907. Interested nominees should email the CRO (Chief Returning Officer) – Mr. Adrian Aziz at: email@example.com.
Nominees must include their name as it appears on their student card. They must include their telephone number, email address and student number in their email. Nominees must send a personal statement up to 500 words before the close of the nomination period. Their statement can be less than 500 words if desired.
Nominations will close on October 14th at 11:59 pm. The campaign period will begin on October 24th at 12:01 am and end on October 28th at 11:59 pm. Candidates are allowed to campaign during the election period. Elections will begin on October 26th 2018 at 12:01am and end on October 28th at 11:59pm.
An election will be called only if there are more than one nominee for the position. In the case of an election, candidates will be responsible for their own campaign. I will monitor campaigning. CUPE 3907 will not refund funds for campaigning.
The President will be paid an honorarium of $500 each month for their labour. This position will begin on November 1st 2018 and end on April 30th 2019.
President duties include:
- be responsible for the smooth and efficient operation of the Local;
- ensure that all Executive Officers perform their assigned duties;
iii. preside at all membership and Executive Committee meetings and preserve order;
- decide all points of order and procedure, subject to appeal by the membership; v. interpret these bylaws as required and as supported by a majority of the Executive Committee, subject to appeal to the membership;
- sign all authorizations, cheques, expense forms or requests for payment, Collective Agreements, and other official documents of the Local;
vii. be responsible, in conjunction with the Treasurer, for accounting all funds of the Local and shall ensure that the Local’s funds are used only as authorized or directed by the Constitution, Bylaws, or vote of the membership;
viii. in conjunction with the Recording Secretary, ensure that proper notice is provided to the membership for all meetings and referenda, including strike votes and ratification votes;
- have the same right to vote as other members; In the case of a tie vote, the President may cast another vote or the President may refrain from casting an additional vote, in which case the motion is defeated. This does not apply for elections or by-elections;
- fill committee vacancies where elections are not provided for;
- introduce new members and conduct them through the initiation procedures of the CUPE Constitution;
xii. report regularly to the Executive Committee and the membership on their actions.
If you have any questions kindly contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Chief Returning Officer