Financial Assistance Fund

Based on our Collective Agreement, the Employer has agreed to pay an amount of $45,000 to continue the Financial Assistance Fund administered by the Union. This amount will be pro-rated between the 8-month employees and the 4-month employees. The Fund can only be used for the sole purpose of providing financial assistance, on an objective basis, to CUPE 3907 members.

Eligible CUPE 3907 members will be contacted via email with details on how to apply to benefits from the Financial Assistance Fund. Please contact the Treasurer, at for more information.

The Financial Assistance Fund will be distributed to applicants who apply in of the following categories:

Health Care Spending Account

CUPE 3907 will be reimbursing the costs of the Health Care Spending Account (HCSA) for eligible members who were part of both CUPE 3907 and CUPE 3902 unit 1 bargaining units.

According to your collective agreement, the CUPE 3907 Health Care Plan shall be identical to the provisions of the CUPE 3902 Unit 1 Health Care Plan.

Furthermore, Schedule A states that, “An eligible employee who is also a member of CUPE 3902-Unit 1 shall only have health benefits under one Health Care Plan, as either the CUPE 3902-Unit 1 Health Care Plan, or CUPE 3907 Health Care Plan”

University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) Rebate Fund

The amount of money you receive as a partial rebate for your UHIP fees will depend on the total amount of applicants and the number of single or family premiums paid.

In order to apply for a UHIP rebate you must be registered at OISE as an International Student. You must provide, with your application, a copy of your UHIP Card for the current Academic year and your ACORN Status.

Child Care Expense Fund

In order to apply for money from the Child Care Expense Fund you must provide proof of expenses which would be considered eligible under the Canada Revenue Guidelines for Child Care Expenses with your original application.

Eligible expenses will only include the following types of expenses:

  • caregivers providing child care services;
  • day nursery schools and daycare centres;
  • educational institutions, for the part of the fees that relate to child care services (you cannot claim the part of the fees that relate to education costs, such as tuition fees of a regular program or a sports study program)
  • day camps and day sports schools where the primary goal of the camp is to care for children (an institution offering a sports study program is not a sports school); or
  • boarding schools, overnight sports schools, or camps where lodging is involved

You cannot claim payments for medical or hospital care, clothing, or transportation costs. Also, you cannot claim fees paid for leisure or recreational activities, such as tennis lessons or the annual registration fees paid for Scouts.

The child must have been living with you. An eligible child is:

  • Under 16 years of age at some point during the period or was dependent on you due to mental or physical infirmities
  • Your child or your spouse’s or common-law partner’s child; or 
  • a child who was dependent on you or your spouse or common-law partner, and whose net income in 2019 was $12,069 or less.
  • If you paid for child care services provided by an individual, the individual cannot be:
  • the child’s father or mother;
  • a person under 18 years of age who is related to you.

A person is related to you if he or she is connected to you by a blood relationship, marriage or common-law partnership, or adoption. For example, your brother, sister, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, and your or your spouse’s or common-law partner’s child are related to you. However, your niece, nephew, aunt, and uncle are not.

Hardship Fund

Members may apply for financial assistance to deal with situations which are not claimed by the UHIP Rebate Fund or the Child Care Expense Fund. You must provide receipts or supporting documents for your claim.

  1. A brief written explanation outlining the circumstances of the expenses incurred, including why they were necessary. It is in your interest to provide receipts.
  2. Eligible expenses may include emergency expenses resulting from theft, fire, or similar unexpected events (e.g. travel due to sudden death in the family, sudden illness and hospitalization etc.).
  3. They may also include one-time expenses and documented short-falls or balances incurred in costs including vision, dental or health care which are not covered by the dental and health plan of the Graduate Students’ Union.
  4. A written budget demonstrating the need for assistance funds. Normally, this budget will be a breakdown of monthly income and expenses. Income should include not only your income from all sources, but if applicable, income which is part of your household income from a parent or spouse or other similar person.
  5. Expense items on the budget will reflect regular living expenses/bills, and may include expense categories such as:
  • Monthly Rent/Mortgage payments
  • Education (Tuition, Text Books, etc.)
  • Transportation (TTC, Gas, car maintenance etc.)
  • Food/Clothing
  • Entertainment
  • Credit Card/Loan Payments
  • Utilities (e.g. Hydro)
  • Phone
  • Cable& Internet
  • Childcare (Baby-sitting, Extra-curricular activities, etc.)
  • Other expenses (e.g. recurring prescription medication not fully covered by insurance, out of pocket (non-insurance covered) dental and eye care etc.)